20.5.10

a day off





Apologies for lack of blog entries from me lately due to on going problems with my camera and a lengthy 'to do' list. However I awarded myself a day off yesterday and went to the Quilts exhibition at the V&A. There were a lot of amazing textiles on display but I felt most drawn to the Welsh and Durham quilts, meticulously stitched to make ends meet during hard times by the women in the mining towns of South Wales and The North East. The patterns handed down through the generations were often based on every day objects like a kitchen chair seat.
I bought this little book in a charity shop not long ago. With these detailed patterns and instructions I can make my own quilt, which I may well do when I am very old and look like Mavis or Florence.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails